I hope your holiday season is going well! New Years is just around the corner and I can’t believe that 2018 is coming to an end. I have a lot of plans for 2019 and I am excited to see the opportunities that it brings. I have always been a person who thrives with a planner. I need a place to write down my schedule and my plans that isn’t my phone – I haven’t warmed up to the online planners and I hope I never do. I’m a paper and pen kind of gal.
This year I have finally made the leap to a bullet journal. (I got mine from Target) This way I can create the perfect station for my life while tracking what I feel is most important. I hope that a bullet journal will help to keep my priorities in line. I have created a few pages including a January 2019 planner, a list of healthy vegan snack options, a birthday list, habit tracker, “experience” page, book list, movie ratings, winter bucket list, and a mood tracker. There are a ton of ideas on Pinterest for personalizing your bullet journal to fit your lifestyle.
2018’s word was “Adventure”, but 2019’s word will be “Experience”. I thought a lot about what I want for the upcoming year and what word will lead me in the right direction. This year was my first time assigning a “word of the year” and I feel like it was incredibly successful. I kept a running list in my phone of the things that I accomplished, places I went, and things that happened in my life. I thought of an adventure in a super broad aspect and included any and all events in our life. I’m going to include a couple of things from my list below in case you are curious
- Binghamton Devil’s hockey game (3 times)
- Corning Glass Museum
- Hens Teeth Primitives shop (twice)
- Strange Brew for brunch (twice)
- Literature Reading at SUNY Broome
- Syracuse Mall: mirror maze, WOB, melting pot, rope course, P.F. Chang
- Hosted Easter Dinner with in-laws
- Maine Vacation: antique shops, lighthouses, bakeries, beach, hiking Mt. Battie, food poisoning, Sea Dog Brewery, transportation museum
- Making new foods/products: Peanut butter, hummus, shampoo, palak paneer, strawberry jam, blueberry jam, lotion bars, zucchini bread, Sweet and Sour Chickpeas
- Strawberry Festival
- NYC: Staten island ferry, the MET, the MET Breuer, Central Park
- Hancock Vendor Fair
- Photo sessions
- New living room furniture and television
- Surprise visit to family camp – played beer pong for the first time and won (granted I was the only sober person)
- Shooting Range
- Dirty Dancing Musical Performance
- Howe Caverns
- NYC bus trip with my mom
- Started a new job
- Created my blog
- Family wedding in NJ – stayed overnight in hotel
- Hosted vegan Thanksgiving with in-laws
- Boudoir photos
There are so many other awesome memories that are listed on my “Adventure” log. You don’t realize how much you accomplish in a year until you look at it all written out. I definitely think that some of these things were accomplished solely because of having the goal of adventure this year. I have a hard time getting out of the house and trying new things, but this has been a huge motivator for me.
Although I have done a lot of things this year, I feel like I don’t truly experience life. I get caught in my own head entirely too much and this year I want to focus on living in the present and experiencing life instead of just watching it fly by.
What is your goal for 2019? Are you going to have a “word of the year”? If so, what is it?
Make these last few days count!